4 Facts About Grid-Tie PV Systems and Why an Lg Chem RESU10H Is the Best Option for Battery Backup
Grid-connected photovoltaic (PV) systems produce electricity for your home and send excess energy to the grid when your system creates more power than you need. When your solar energy system isn’t generating enough electricity for your needs, such as at night or during “peak” energy usage hours, you must purchase electricity from the grid.
This works well in many parts of the country where the electric utility charges a flat rate for power and has no time-of-use rate plan. It is also ideal for utilities with reliable power.
Grid-Tie Solar without Battery Backup Benefits
- Simple design
- Most affordable form of solar energy
- Best cost-benefit when installed in areas without time-of-use rates
- Receive credit for any extra power produced by your PV system with net metering
- Your meter will spin backwards and the excess power will be credited to your account for future use when your PV system doesn't offset your usage
But what happens if your utility has a grid outage?
Your solar panels can’t supply energy during a power outage because the inverters that convert solar DC power to AC power are shut down during the blackout. This “shut-down” occurs because the inverter is disconnected from the grid to protect utility crews that are deployed for repairs.
If the outage occurs during sunlight hours, the electricity that would have been produced by your PV system can't be used to power your home and any excess energy that your system might have produced can’t be sent to the grid.
Grid-Tie Solar without Battery Backup Drawbacks
- No power during a grid outage
- Electricity produced by your PV system can't be used to power your home
- And excess electricity produced by your PV system can't be sent to the grid
How can I power my home in a grid outage with my PV system?
You can power your home at any time (day or night) and during a power outage with a battery backup system. With battery backup, excess power from your PV system charges a battery which will automatically be activated during a grid outage to provide uninterrupted power for your home.
Not only can a battery be a source for power during a grid outage, but the Energy Storage System (ESS) of an LG CHEM RESU10H and compatible inverter can be used to schedule the battery to supply power for your home at specific times. This is ideal in areas where the utility charges time-of-use rates. In these locations, the battery can provide power during expensive periods and the grid can provide power during low-cost periods.
Grid-Tie Solar with Battery Backup - The Best of Both Worlds
- Receive all the benefits of grid-tie solar and spin the meter backwards
- But when the grid goes down, you will have power, while many of your neighbors will not
- Even if you don't have many outages, an LG CHEM RESU10H battery can be used to offset expensive time-of-use rates
The LG Chem RESU10H battery combined with a SolarEdge StorEdge inverter with optimizers or SMA Sunny Boy Storage inverter provide all the needed components in one system. Use the SolarEdge StorEdge inverter with optimizers when installing a new PV system. Use the SMA Sunny Boy Storage inverters when adding a RESU10H battery to an existing home without a PV system. Or combine an SMA Sunny Boy Storage inverter with an SMA Sunny Boy PV inverter when installing a new PV system with battery backup.
LG Chem RESU10H - Trusted Lithium-Ion Performance
- Proven Safety
- 95% Efficiency
- Maintenance Free
- Reliable Performance
- Up To 95% Depth of Discharge
- Long Lifespan with a 10-Year Warranty
- Compact Size, Space Saving and Lightweight (214 - 220 lbs)
- 9.8 kWh (Single Battery with SolarEdge StorEdge or SMA Storage)
- 19.6 kWh (Two Batteries with SolarEdge StorEdge Only)
Pair with SolarEdge StorEdge Inverters for PV and Battery Backup
- LG Chem RESU10H-R HV Battery - Primary Battery (Only Compatible with SolarEdge StorEdge Inverters)
- LG Chem RESU10H-R-SEG2 HV Battery - Secondary Battery (Only Compatible with SolarEdge StorEdge Inverters)
- SolarEdge SE3800A-USS2RNCB2 StorEdge Inverter - 3800W PV/Battery Inverter
- SolarEdge SE7600A-USS2RNCB2 StorEdge Inverter - 7600W PV/Battery Inverter
- SolarEdge Power Optimizer - One Required per Solar Panel
- SolarEdge SEAUTO-TX-5000 StorEdge Auto-Transformer - Required for Backup Load Phase Balancing
- SolarEdge SE-MTR240-NN-S-S1 Electricity Meter - For Time-Of-Use Shifting, Peak Shaving and Export Limitation
- SolarEdge SE-ACT-0750-200 Current Transformer - 2 CTs Needed with SolarEdge Electricity Meter
Pair with SMA Sunny Boy Storage Inverters for Battery Backup Only
- LG Chem RESU10H-C HV Battery - Single Battery (Only One Allowed with SMA Sunny Boy Storage Inverters)
- SMA Sunny Boy Storage SBS3.8-US-10 - 3800W Battery Inverter
- SMA Sunny Boy Storage SBS5.0-US-10 - 5000W Battery Inverter
- SMA Sunny Boy Storage SBS6.0-US-10 - 6000W Battery Inverter
Add an SMA PV Inverter with an SMA Sunny Boy Storage Inverter for PV and Battery Backup
- SMA Sunny Boy SB3.0-1SP-US-41 Inverter - 3000W PV Inverter
- SMA Sunny Boy SB3.8-1SP-US-41 Inverter - 3800W PV Inverter
- SMA Sunny Boy SB5.0-1SP-US-41 Inverter - 5000W PV Inverter
- SMA Sunny Boy SB6.0-1SP-US-41 Inverter - 6000W PV Inverter
- SMA Sunny Boy SB7.0-1SP-US-41 Inverter - 7000W PV Inverter
- SMA Sunny Boy SB7.7-1SP-US-41 Inverter - 7680W PV Inverter
Need Help Designing Your Battery Backup System?
Purchase a Design and Quote for Grid-Tied PV System with Battery Backup and receive an itemized quote for a system designed specifically to your needs. The $199 fee is deducted from your complete system purchase.